sábado, 16 de março de 2013

Way Up North

I've recently been to Helsinki, in Finland. Though it was a very short trip (4 days only), or maybe because of that, I thought it would make sense to open up a precent and write an account of it for my blog. I'll organise the post through bullet points, to call attention upon particular aspects of the trip I find worth mentioning.


  • Snow is beautiful, whether in urban or rural environments. Finnish don't seem to agree on this though, and this is actually consired low touristic season. I can imagine that seeing it on a daily basis can make it somewhat less special; they also have to deal with its downsides: extreme cold. Even so I'm pretty much convinced that a higher awareness on this potential could lead to its better exploitation in terms of tourism. Then again, maybe Finnish shouldn't take financial advise from a Portuguese.
  • Suomenlina. It's a fortress island really close to Helsinki (15min by boat or so) and I would probably elect it as the trip's highlight. Beautiful beyond words, the snow covered island is definately worth a trip. Amazingly, all museums and cafés were closed since it is not touristic season! Looking at some postcards of it, in the Summer, I must say it does not look so special...  we have similar things in Portugal. So screw touristic season, go there in March!
  • I Helsinki main attraction.In the city itself there is also quite a lot to see, but you can easily look it up online or in a traveller's guide. I'd just highlight the rock church and the olympic stadium/tower. The first because it really is something interesting ( the church appears to be engraved in the rock directly somehow ) and the latter due to its higher panorama view over Helsinki. We were later told that a hotel in the center of the city had an even better view from its rooftop, but unfortunaly it was already closed by the time we arrived there. Nuuksio National Park, which I visited following a friend's advise, is also quite nice and peaceful in case you can afford the time ( ~1h from Helsinki ). The city also features a lovers' bridge, in case you're familiar with the concept and fancy it.
  • Tallinn. The capital of Estonia is only 2h away from Helsinki by boat and I'd say it's a must. The city is beautiful but also make sure not to lose the boat trip in itself, in particular the departure and arrival times. Seeing the boat cut through the freezed water was also quite interesting.
  • Food.  Food is actually not that bad around Helsinki; it is awfully expensive though. Elk and reindeer meat and salmon schnitzel is not something you're used to see in Portugal and they're quite good. I also tried this canned fish, muikku I think it was called, but I didn't really like (probably cause of the canned sauce). A Finnish friend of mine gave me this typical pastilles named Salmiak, which are somewhat salty and weird. Luckily, she had the foresight to accompany it with a Finnish chocolate bar to overrule the flavour, which I thank her for. I recommend you try the same procedure.
  • People. Finnish are often portraied with the usual Nord stereotype: cold, unsympathetic people who resemble robots in terms of efficiency and lack of interest for socializing. It couldn't be further from the truth though! Well, I guess they are efficient. But other that the stereotype is way off; Finnish are actually quite nice and don't be surprised if they start talking to you on the bus or at the bar.

All in all the trip was great and I'd definately recommend it to anyone. And please do it in late Winter/ early Spring and not in the Summer!

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário