domingo, 8 de dezembro de 2013

Meia-Maratona dos Descobrimentos

Name: Meia-Maratona dos Descobrimentos
Length: 21Km
Date: 8th of December 2013
Minimum Goal: - 1h42m
Personal Challenge: - 1h30m
Personal Record for this Distance: 1h31m33s


Today the first edition of the "Meia-Maratona dos Descobrimentos" (Half-Marathon) took place. The need for this new racing event in Lisbon arised from the fact that, this year and for the very first time, the Lisbon Marathon and Half-Marathon took place at the same day, back in October if I recall correctly.

I set my expectations for this race with great care. On the one hand, my surprisingly good results in the 10Km race last Sunday and my brand new racing headphones certainly gave me some confidence. The track was also (almost) totally planar, which is obviously invaluable when trying to set a new personal record. On the other hand, after a tiring week and faced with an unusually misty and cold day I must confess I started to lose heart.

Due to some lazyness, I decided to use the same playlist from the last half-marathon I had run a long time ago. Unfortunately, I forgot that the musics were not sorted since I used the Ipod in random play mode back then. For that reason I was first accompanied by Rise Against, then lots of other bands and finally wrapped it up with Dragonforce. It wasn't all that bad.

We started the race way back amongst the crowd. In fact, we arrived at the starting line some thirty seconds before launch and, were it not for the minute of silence in honour of the recently diseased Nelson Mandela, we probably would have arrived late.

Despite that troubling fact, I managed to worm my way around the slower runners and keep a fairly steady pace. In the middle of the track I found myself with a quite steady pace of 4m20s/Km and well on time to achieve my goals. I must admit I was kinda surprised.

In the final Kms I even managed to speed up the pace a little; somewhere in-between the 18th and 19th Km there was split second were my Ipod stood silent (in the end of Soldiers of the Wastelands) and felt myself losing heart (and legs).  But in the moment after "Fury of the Storm" exploded in my ears and I bursted forward seemingly effortlessly.

In the last kilometer I tried to keep up with a fellow runner; my Nike+ system measured 3m55s/Km (but it constantly slightly underestimated my speed throughout the race) which is quite a lot, specially after running 20 kilometers. In the end I was unable to keep with him for the last few hundred meters, but still crossed the finishing line with 1h 29m 20s on my timer. New personal record! More details below.

1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Kms: 17m 14s ( average 4m19s/Km )
5th Km: 4m 19s
6th Km: 4m 21s
7th Km: 4m 43s
8th Km: 4m 25s
9th Km: 4m 16s
10th Km: 4m 18s
11th Km: 4m 16s
12th Km: 4m 13s
13th and 14th Kms: 8m 24s ( average 4m12s/Km )
15th Km: 4m 11s
16Km: 3m 57s
17Km: 4m 11s
18Km: 4m 06s
19th Km: 4m 03s
20th Km: 4m 03s
21th Km: 3m 49s
Last Few Meters: 25s
Total: 1h 29m 20s ( average speed: 4min15s/Km or 14.10 Km/h )

As for the organisation: impecable. Useful locker-rooms, accessible bathrooms, well placed and equipped support areas, a beautiful T-shirt and a nice medal. As a last souvenir, I brought home some pins for my collections and some delicious "pastéis de Belém".


Filipe Baptista de Morais

PS: in the end the guy who ran next to me for nearly half of the last kilometer came to greet me, which really cheered me up. That's the sports and fair play spirit we should all try to maintain.

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário