sábado, 23 de novembro de 2013

It's not you, it's me

My thesis' defence took place last Wednesday. That means that after five full years I am finally parting ways with IST (Instituto Superior Técnico). Yes, I gave that adjective a lot of thought. After considering wonderful, marvellous, tiring, exhausting and lots of others, full seemed about right. It wasn't all rainbows and unicorns, but there were some along the way.

Bottom line is that after five years, two hundred and forty ECTS split into one thesis and almost fifty courses (imagine if it were the other way around!); after many sleepless nights and a similar number of parties, after thousands of mistakes, a lot of theory and a bunch of practice, after learning a lot and teching some, after so many card games in the afternoon and poker nights, after studying and playing football and tennis and skiing, after countless cups of coffee and some cans of redbull, after two ackward conversations for suspicion of fraud, after teaching many of my friends how to play pool and after making those friends, after a lot of beet at Arco do Cego and wine somewhere else, those days have finally come to an end. I could go on for quite a bit longer (trust me on that), but I decided to take pity on the poor reader.

Over the last two years, besides being a student I also worked as a research assistant at ISR (Institute for Systems and Robotics), through which I had the opportunity to continue linked to the school, at least for a couple more years. Why not, then, take the opportunity to extend this important period of my life? Well, as I've learned time and time again along these years, there are some questions which we simply cannot answer Perhaps there is no answer.  Either way, I believe I've finally come to understand the puzzling break-up line it's not you, it's me.

Sometimes everything is not enough and we still need to search for something else. Maybe it's our very human nature that will endlessly tease the explorer whithin use to go on a quest for something that doesn't even exist. And does it even matter, as long as we enjoy the ride? As they say, life's all about the journey, not the destination.

Some months ago I started developping this somewhat weird habit of assigning songs to moments. This was a particularly easy one: enjoy.


Filipe Baptista de Morais

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário